Soccer is an exciting, fast moving and fun game. While healthy competition is encouraged, coaches, players and fans should remember that the objective is to have fun and learn the game of soccer. It is important to our soccer program that all participants conduct themselves in a positive and responsible manner.
Fort Wayne United FC believes that the attitude shown by parents toward the coaches, the referees and the opposing players as well as the importance of winning vs. losing are of paramount importance. Inappropriate comments or actions by adults bent on short-term success rather than the long range benefits undermines the essence of competition and introduces stresses to children that are counter-productive.
Please take the time to go over the Player Code of Conduct on the following page with your athlete. Before doing so, however, we hope you will spend time reviewing the Parent Code of Conduct which details our expectations from parents/guardians. As adults, we have the important job of teaching and mentoring today’s youth. They look to us (especially to parents) for direction and learn from watching our behavior. We know you take this job very seriously in “everyday” life…we ask that you take it equally seriously in the sports world; specifically at all Fort Wayne United games that you attend. At training sessions (an extremely important piece of player development) we ask that you eliminate pressure and allow players to train stress free by not sitting on the sidelines, but away from the field.
- Review the Fort Wayne United Parent and Player Code of Ethics.
- Become familiar with the Club web site.
- Please be on time when picking up kids after trainings.
- It is your responsibility to arrange transportation for your child to all trainings and competition.
- If a player is unable to make their scheduled training it is their responsibility to contact the coach and let them know immediately.
- Parents will be asked to participate in volunteering for the club.
- Weather Conditions: In the event we have to cancel trainings or competition due to weather, club administration will communicate with you. We will also have information on the club web site.
PARENT CODE OF CONDUCT
As a Fort Wayne United Parent, we ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner outlined by the following Code of Conduct:
- Focus on praise and encouragement rather than on criticism and negative comments.
- Applaud good play, regardless of team. Nothing is better than seeing a child smile from recognition. Encourage fair play and good sportsmanship.
- Remember that every player on the team is a contributing player. Soccer is a team sport; without each player, there is no team. Acknowledge that players are at various levels in this sport and will make mistakes, possibly at critical times, in competition. Be patient and supportive through these times.
- Attempt to reduce the pressure of competition, not increase it. A child is easily affected by outside influences. Parents should remember this is a “learning experience” for players and support this experience.
- Be kind and respectful to our coaches. Parents need to support the coach and his/her decisions and refrain from verbal criticism. Remember, the coach makes the final decision regarding players on the field. 24 hour rule: If a parent has questions about their child’s playing time or an issue stemming from a game, we ask that you allow 24 hours to lapse before initiating contact with the coach.
- Do not publicly question the referee’s judgment. Please remember, many of these referees are young adults learning how to referee the game, so please treat them with respect. They are there to do an honest job which few others are willing to undertake.
- NEVER enter the field to speak with a referee. Speak to your coach or a club official at another time if you have a concern.
- Keep in mind that coaching is NOT a science and that all coaches will make decisions that are popular and unpopular. However, we believe that every member of the Fort Wayne United Coaching Staff acts with the best intentions and with the best interest of each and every player. You may not agree with every decision they make, but please respect that decision.
- No parent is to coach or attempt to coach their child (or any other players) during club trainings and/or competition. Refrain from talking to players during trainings or games. The players need to concentrate on the game and listen to their coach.
- Accept the results of the game. Encourage your child to be a good sport in victory and in defeat. Many times a player will not remember the results of a game an hour later but they will remember how they felt because of their own (and your) actions.
- Only sit in designated areas around the field. The only acceptable area is the sideline on the opposite side of the field from the coaches and players. Sitting along either end line or with the coaches and players is not allowed. This is for your own safety and the safety of the players.
- Treat other fans, coaches, players, and officials with respect, regardless of race, sex, or ability.
- Drinking, smoking, foul language and firearms are not allowed around the fields during games or practices.
We believe we have the best fans around! But we must remind everyone that Fort Wayne United FC will not tolerate behavior which brings the Club, our teams, or the game itself into disrepute. Violations of either Code of Conduct are taken seriously and could result in removal from the fields and/or sanctions at the sole discretion of the Director of Coaching and Club Administration.
PLAYER CODE OF CONDUCT
- I will play for fun and enjoyment of the game.
- I will work hard to improve my soccer skills.
- I will be a team player, get along with and cooperate with my coaches and teammates.
- I will always be a good sport.
- I will respect my coaches, teammates, parents, opponents, and referees.
- I will not argue with the referee.
- I will not use any profanity at practices or during games.
- I will not, under any circumstances, participate in physical violence or threats of physical violence before, during or after any game or practice.
- I will not use alcohol or illegal drugs.
- I will obey the laws of the game and play within the spirit of those laws.
- I commit to Fort Wayne United trainings and competition and it takes precedence as primary. Players are to notify the Coach in case of emergencies and or important family matters when missing a training or competition.
- I will treat all facilities with respect before, during and after trainings and or competition.
FW UNITED BEHAVIOR POLICY
- Parents and Players should not be disrespectful to any Fort Wayne United Staff member in a derogatory or disrespectful manner.
- Parents are not allowed on the training field or sideline during trainings and or competition.
- No parent is to coach or attempt to coach their child or any other player during any club trainings or competition.
- Parents are asked to not discuss the play of any athlete other than their child.
- Parents and Players are not allowed to discuss playing time during the competition. This does not mean they can never discuss this topic but it is not the right place or time to do this during competition. Please schedule a time with the coach to discuss this or any other concerns you may have. This will allow the coach to stay organized so the trainings can run smoothly. This will also allow the coach to prepare for the meeting.
- Drugs and Alcohol: Any member of Fort Wayne United who is caught with any form of drugs or alcohol before, during or after any club event will be suspended until further notice. Player-Parent-Coach-Club Director will schedule a meeting for disciplinary action.